Seriously, though this is kind of a big deal. Know that big problem we have? You know, the one involving a crapload of used plastic hanging around in landfills with nowhere to biodegrade for a couple million years? Well, Jonathan Russell might’ve solved that problem. See, Russell and his fellow Yale students went to Ecuador, where they found a new kind of fungus they’re calling Pestalotiopsis microspora. Big deal, you’re thinking. Anyone can find fungus anywhere! Well, something his fellow students found out after the fact is that this fungus can live on a diet of polyurethane alone — and even crazier, it doesn’t even need air to do so! In other words, we could potentially put it at the bottom of a landfill and cover it with plastic, and it would do the rest of the work. This might be game-changing if it works as advertised. (photo via Flickr user dbutt; EDIT: Updated with link to research abstract) source
THIS IS AMAZINGGGG
I love nature
THE EARTH IS SO AMAZING IT KNOWS THAT WE’RE FUCKING IT UP AND EVEN THEN INSTEAD OF GIVING US AN APOCALYPSE IT GOES AND GIVES US A SOLUTION TO HELP US FIX WHAT WE FUCKED UP BLESS
Why are we not talking about Derrick Coleman????
- He’s been legally Deaf since he was 3 years old
- That’s 20 years
- He received a letter from a fan who’s also Deaf and he wrote back an inspirational reply
- He’s the first ever Deaf offensive player in the league.
- He’s also the first to score a touchdown
- In order to play football, he has to watch everyone else and move when they move, wear hearing aids, and he has to read Quarterback Russell Wilson’s lips in order to know what the play is, and he still manages to do it and do it well.
- He’s just an inspiration to me and a lot of others.
Who’s not talkin bout him? I love this guy
fuckin sick. high levels of sight, reflexes and reaction speed. superhero type shit right here